Preparation & Cooking Time
For the Sauce(s)
A half glass of White Wine
For the Scallops, Bacon & Black Pudding
Orange Zest, finely sliced
- For the sauce, bring a small saucepan to a high heat and add the cinnamon, cardamom pods and cayenne pepper to warm through for a couple of minutes to release the flavours. Add the orange juice and bring to a rolling boil then remove from the heat and allow to cool leaving the spices to infuse.
- Sift the liquid to remove the cardamom pods then gently heat in the saucepan adding the sugar when warm. Once the sugar is dissolved bring to a rapid boil and reduce until the liquid becomes syrupy. Set aside. Note: If the syrup becomes too thick add a splash more orange juice.
- Grill or dry-fry the streaky bacon in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat, until crisp on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Add the black pudding slices to the same pan, on a lower heat, and fry slowly until just crisp on the outside but still soft on the inside. Remove from the pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Drizzle the scallops with a little oil, then add them to the same pan and fry for 1-1½ minutes on each side, or until golden-brown on both sides and just cooked through. Remove the scallops from the pan, keeping warm, then deglaze the pan with the white wine.
Place 3 slices of bacon on each plate topped with the black pudding slice. Add the scallops on top of the pudding and drizzle each with a little of the white wine liqueur. Finally, drizzle the warm syrup around the dish and top with a little orange zest (if desired).